another john dot com

There are 5,446,646 people named John in the U.S. I'm just Another John.

Who we come from

John 7:25-36

Here's my "can anything good come out of Nazareth" story. Once, I attended a spiritual retreat. During the event, there were several free-time slots on our agenda. I used those times to play basketball. Just after one of the games, an older man asked me to come talk to him. He wondered had I played ball in high school and asked what school I attended. Pretty sure that he recognized the name of the school, he verified and asked where I was from.

When I told him I was born in Galveston, he said, "If I'd had known you were from Galveston, I would've hid my wallet."

People knew Jesus. Not only had they heard him and seen him, they knew where he was from. Word gets around about people, doesn't it? It's not hard to imagine Jesus and his family having some reputation, as many families might. And maybe people knew others from Nazareth or had heard stories about that lowly place. Philip certainly had (John 1:46).


But Jesus wasn't concerned that anyone knew where he was from. More observant people might've made messiah connections considering where he grew up (Matthew 2:23). Instead, the crowd in John 7 took their familiarity as a set back (John 7:27). What the Lord wanted people to recognize, though, was whom he was from. The whom is the One who sent Jesus. And, as Jesus says, "I know him because I am from him" (7:29).

Today, the Spirit prompts us toward kingdom ministry. And as we go in Jesus' name, we can have the same conviction and confidence Jesus had. We don't go representing ourselves or where we're from. I'm always a little leery about church advertising and branding for that reason. Thankfully, we aren't limited by our inabilities or short comings. Instead, we go with the One whom has called us, whom has redeemed us and loves us. The most important part of our discipleship and ministry isn't where we've come from. Like Jesus, it's who we come from.

Stay blessed...john

 

No comments: