1.22.2009

Don't Call Me Nerdy

Classes for the Spring semester began today. I'm taking fewer hours this time around. This morning I actually had a thought that perhaps next semester I will go back to (12) hours. All first year students have to take a course entitled Spiritual Formation. It's a Pass/Don't Pass course. The work is not heavy at all, but does require 2-3 hours each week to complete the required work. That will be a decision for late summer.

I have decided I will make more use of the library's resources from now on both for school work and sermon preparation. It was a shame I wasted a whole semester before I started going to the library. Yes, I realize how incredibly nerdy that sounds. Still, my pants don't go up to my chin and my hats still have a slight angle when I wear them and music is never too loud...that often. So, all is not lost, yet.

We'll see if that decision will produce better sermons. I am configuring material to use on Sunday mornings for those who go to church to follow the sermon. This is sort of a notes page. i haven't quite figured out how it will look or how I will implement it. Sure, it's funny to note how people say they like your sermon even though they can't remember what you said, but I'm not terribly interested in people liking the sermon. More than anything I want them to be involved with the text to get their own sense of God's calling from it.

So, whether it's an insert or perforated piece of the bulletin will be seen. I hoping, along with some other plans I have, we'll begin to see some corners turned in our people's approach to Scripture.

Stay blessed...john

0 Responses :