another john dot com

There are 5,446,646 people named John in the U.S. I'm just Another John.

The Real Deal With the Pumpkins

First, I'm not into decorations and all that, but doesn't the church lawn look pretty nice with all those pumpkins? Gloria taught her Sunday School class outside in the Patch yesterday (she co-teaches middle and high school students); the guys loved it--at least that's what we took from their smiles, feedback, participation and how can you not be happy laying in a Pumpkin Patch on a bean bag?

Secondly, and here's probably my main idea, this isn't about the money--at least not too much right now. What I mean to say is that this isn't some big money making project for us, yet. I know there are churches that use this to completely fund certain ministry projects or areas; we are not there. There's nothing that says we couldn't be. At this point we're averaging about $24 an hour (and please don't ask me why I know that). This just isn't anything that can be considered a cash cow.

While we don't quite have enough dough for staff volunteers to roll around in here is what's going on: the little things are happening. It may sound corny, but people who haven't known each other in church have had chances to talk and get to know one another. We've extended many, many welcomes and invitations to some of our different events. This is what I noticed from this week's papers: there was mention of "those pumpkins" in two of the other surrounding cities and also of those in Bandera. Now, that may not seem like a big deal and perhaps it isn't. But those in Bandera are ours. So, my point is that people are connecting the dots as to who to know for pumpkins in Bandera.

When they come we have small conversation. Their kids get stickers, I get to tell a few dumb jokes or even show off my great coloring skills, and we make sure to tell them to remind everyone we're here. I believe it's another easy chance to show some people in our communities that we are normal people. There's nothing extraterrestrial about most of us. Maybe that could be the realization someone needs to participate in ministry. Who knows?

I think it would be worth doing again next year. We would be building on what we've already established. Whether it's worth it or not is up to our members. To me it seems like the Patch has so easily become something our church does--you know like our church does an egg hunt, or carnival. I'm still waiting for someone to find it in their hearts to share some pumpkin pie!

Stay blessed...john

P.S. Yes, the youth are there. They just don't sign their names up; they come with their families.

No comments: