9.11.2007

Better Late than Never or Something In Between

I'm struggling with a decision. It may not seem too much of an issue, and indeed in a few weeks I'll probably think the same way. However, right now all the input I can get would be great.

Our youth group has met on Wednesdays since I've been here (2 1/2 years) and even prior to that. For our community it seems that day is better than say a Sunday. This is the first church that I've been a part of that provided a youth meeting right after school. For a while after stepping in I kept that schedule; almost a year in we went to a later time.

Some of "our" students would prefer the earlier time. We actually "lost" some because they were upset we changed time (that's another story). I am leaning towards a later time for a number of reasons. The biggest is that I believe it opens the door for a lot of other students to be involved in the student ministry here. Many of these youth are involved in band, sports, theater and other after school activities.

There are still some of "our" members that are more comfortable with the earlier time. I've tried to express my intention about the change (opening up), but don't think that is how they perceive it. Another chunk of change is that we are looking to only have one "youth group meeting" every month--one for the middle school and another for high school. Before you worry, there are weekly groups planned to provide the fellowship and other faith aspects for these students.

So, what do you think? Have you dealt with something like this in your area? I know you have. Especially those of you who live in this community--what's been your take on some of this kind of thing? Let me know. Stay blessed...john

0 Responses :