another john dot com

There are 5,446,646 people named John in the U.S. I'm just Another John.

Acting Their Age

Of course most of my middle schoolers, and a lot of my high schoolers, don't get the idea of real consequences to actions. Many of our youth don't understand that so much of what they do, and say, today effects their future. Not only that, but so much of what they do effects other people as well. You and I know that--I hope.

I don't know why I started with that, and I really don't know where I'm going with this. What my frustration is aimed at is the way our culture mocks everything. It really gets on my nerves. Our society has progressed so much and part of that progression is this notion that nothing is sacred or exempt from scrutiny. Everyday I see and hear examples of it.

This morning what triggered me was a video I watched. It's a dumb little video. Some actor was doing an interview, and the conversation moved to death and comedy tv--whether that was appropriate (or taboo). The actor said no, and began to demonstrate with the (I think it was) hot dog he was eating; he pretending to choke, but then really began to choke. I just wondered if that gave him and the others watching a different perspective.

We allow our entertainers to make light of so many things. The worst of it is that we will laugh right along with them. And this isn't a stab at the media--necessarily. This is more about the attitudes that seem to prevail. Why does ridicule play so big a part in our world? We ridicule each other, our leaders, ourselves and even God. Now I know why I started with discussing youth--it's because so many people act just like them. The reason and logic that so many people claim to posses seems to be substituted with a middle school mentality of "I don't like you so everything you say is stupid (imagine me sticking my tongue out at you)."

In those kinds of attitudes we find consequences that go way beyond today--broken relationships, hatred, distrust and prejudice seem very visible in our world. I just wish more people would begin to evaluate their motives before they run out to get attention. Watching "news" programs on tv and much of the reading online really turns me off because it seems that's all you hear.

What bothers me the most is that I know there are plenty of people who value respect and dignity. Why are those people always portrayed as the outsiders, or those that are out of touch? If I don't have the ability to offer a great wisecrack then I'm boring or too uptight.

I know that love your neighbor thing hasn't gone out of style; I just wish it was more popular. Thank you for allowing me to moan and complain. Stay blessed...john

Here's the video:

http://view.break.com/367652 - Watch more free videos

No comments: