12.21.2007

Ready?

I came across (j-walk blog) a list this morning that provides for us (20) excellent reasons to leave Christianity. Unfortunately, I know nothing of the author except from what I pulled up via Wikipedia. Some of the reasons I have considered before--dare I say believed. While some frown at things like this I don't have a problem with looking at someone's criticisms and honestly evaluating where our faith has been. In fact, I think that is a constructive thing to do. In another fact, it's a part of the reason I have come to be where I am in my faith.

No, I don't consider any of them adequate in striking the core of the CHRISTian belief. So, no worries; I'm not going anywhere....or sorry; I'm not going anywhere--which ever it is for you.

Here's the link that provides the author's explanation for each reason.
  1. Christianity is based on fear
  2. Christianity preys on the innocent
  3. Christianity is based on dishonesty
  4. Christianity is extremely egocentric
  5. Christianity breeds arrogance, a chosen-people mentality
  6. Christianity breeds authoritarianism
  7. Christianity is cruel
  8. Christianity is anti-intellectual, anti-scientific
  9. Christianity has a morbid, unhealthy preoccupation with sex
  10. Christianity produces sexual misery
  11. Christianity has an exceedingly narrow, legalistic view of morality
  12. Christianity encourages acceptance of real evils while focusing on imaginary evils
  13. Christianity depreciates the natural world
  14. Christianity models hierarchical, authoritarian organization
  15. Christianity sanctions slavery
  16. Christianity is misogynistic
  17. Christianity is homophobic
  18. The Bible is not a reliable guide to Christ's teachings
  19. The Bible is riddled with contradictions
  20. Christianity borrowed its central myths and ceremonies from other ancient religions
'Stay' blessed...john

0 Responses :