5.23.2013

That's not heartburn...



Aldersgate Day is May 24th.  It's the day we United Methodists remember John Wesley's "heart strangely warmed" experience.  I'm not sure if Wesley made such a big deal out of that day as we do now.  Still, as we follow Wesley's life and theology, that evening marked a significant moment in is faith.  He would later question the assurance and faith he was given that night as he continued in ministry.

Here are his words:
In the evening I went very unwillingly to a society in Aldersgate Street, where one was reading Luther's preface to the Epistle to the Romans. About a quarter before nine, while the leader was describing the change which God works in the heart through faith in Christ, I felt my heart strangely warmed. I felt I did trust in Christ alone for salvation; and an assurance was given me that He had taken away my sins, even mine, and saved me from the law of sin and death.
Journal, May 24, 1738




I love how he wasn't even reading the Bible or having the Bible read to him. It was thoughts/assurances from Luther that triggered something in his heart. You see, God works in all kinds of ways. What about you? How have you experienced God lately? One thing, at least, we can take from Wesley's Aldersgate experience is that our faith can be strengthened and encouraged when we least expect it--or even want it!



Stay blessed...john

0 Responses :