Years ago, when Gloria and I were first married, we started visiting a church. One Sunday, I sat beside a woman whose purse was between her and me on the pew. Partway through the service, I watched her discreetly move it to her other side.
Believe it or not, that was the last time we went to that church. I remember feeling that she had taken one look at me and decided everything she needed to know.
Instead of being angry about it, I've learned to use that memory to reflect on how often I’ve done that.
Jesus tells a story about wheat growing alongside weeds. The servants see the weeds and immediately want to pull them up. The farmer says no because, in their hurry, they might take out the wheat, too. Of course, he sees what they see, but he also sees the harm their quick solution could cause.
I understand the servants.
When something is wrong, I want to do something about it now. When I watch the news or worry about someone I love, I sometimes ask God, “Are you seeing this? Why haven’t you stepped in?”
The farmer’s answer reminds me that I can mistake my impatience for wisdom. I can convince myself who the weeds are, only to learn how little I really know about the people growing beside me.
To be sure, Jesus isn’t asking us to ignore the harm that people cause. We can and should speak up, protect people, and work for justice without claiming God’s place as judge.
From time to time, that lady's purse comes to mind. While I can’t change what she thought about me, I can ask God to help me notice when I’m making the same kind of judgment about someone else.
Then again, who knows? Maybe she never even noticed me.
Stay blessed...john
Comments