Sometimes, I wonder if knowing what to say about God makes it easier to avoid actually listening to God.
In other words, I can find a Bible verse and know the church lingo to make something sound faithful. But sounding faithful and being faithful can be two different things. Two very different things.
Just listen again to Caiaphas.
After Jesus raised Lazarus, the religious leaders recognized that people were believing in him. They worry because they fear Rome’s response. In their discussion, Caiaphas offers what sounds like practical advice to them. He says that one man should die so the nation can live.
That pretty much sums up our faith, but he means Jesus needs to go for good.
More is happening in those words than Caiaphas understands. Jesus will die for the people. His death will gather God’s scattered children together. Caiaphas says the right thing. But imagine asking him what he actually means.
I know I've prayed something like, “God, show me what you want,” when what I really wanted was reassurance about what I wanted. That's the same thing as asking for directions while your hand is already on the turn signal.
Maybe you've done that, too.
That's why discernment takes enough honesty to admit that and enough trust to listen again.
Caiaphas spoke words that pointed toward God’s purpose. He was right, but all the while making plans to get Jesus out of the way. That makes me wonder what I might be missing when I’m sure I’ve got things figured out. Someone once said doubt is not the opposite of faith. In a strange way, certainty is.
That's worth reflecting on when you pray. You might be asking God for direction, but only leave room for one answer--the one answer you want.
Stay blessed...john
Comments