I don’t mind giving advice, mostly. It’s when people don’t take it that I get a little frustrated. Especially when I’m sure I’m right, I can't help but wonder why you even asked me to begin with.
All I'm trying to do is help. At least, that’s what I tell myself.
I can't help but wonder, though, that maybe I really just want to get my way.
First Peter tells church leaders to care for God’s flock without lording authority over people. Did you catch the important part there? It's God's flock.
The people leaders care for do not belong to them.
That’s worth reflecting on even if you’ve never led a church. We all have some influence in someone’s life. Our children. Our friends. Someone at work. People who trust us enough to ask what we think.
Yes, that trust means something, but it doesn’t make their decisions ours.
The hard part in all this is offering advice and wisdom without deciding everything that should happen.
And that all makes practical sense until someone I love makes a choice I wouldn’t make. Then I need the reminder again.
Helping someone is like holding a lantern. I can help them see what’s ahead and point out something they might trip over. I can even walk with them.
But I can’t walk for them. Besides, who knows, maybe I don't see as much as I think I do.
Is there someone you’ve been trying to convince lately? Before you explain yourself again, ask them a question. Give them time to answer. You may discover something you missed while you were busy knowing what they should do.
Remember that people are entrusted to your care, but they still belong to God. Let your love for them help them remember that, too.
Stay blessed...john
Comments