I've read dozens of commentaries and articles based on 2 Samuel 12:15. None of them satisfy me. Not that the Bible has to prove anything to you or me. But it is our sacred text, and there are stories within it that I know trouble me.
Most people remember that King David created for himself a web of adultery, murder, and cover-up. God responds by sending the prophet Nathan to confront David. David hears what the prophet says and repents. But, as a consequence of "utterly" scorning the Lord, the text says, "the Lord struck the child..." that Bathsheba had.
Again, I've read many words that seek to resolve the tension we probably all feel when we read that. Some talk about that child being spared from living in David's family. Others assert that life and death are in God's hands. Does this passage connect to the practice of child sacrifice? Nothing I've read helps me feel better about how the story plays out.
Of course, a text like this turns some people away from the Bible and faith.
But I choose to stay with the Bible because I don't think it was given to make me comfortable.
Scripture isn't entertainment. I don't have to like it. And I certainly don't have to defend every character, explain every tragedy, or pretend every question has a satisfying answer.
I can wrestle with it. I should wrestle with it.
Some passages comfort us, and some confront us. And others leave us with questions we may never have answers to.
My encouragement is to not rush past a text that troubles you. Don't explain it away just so you can feel better. And don't assume that having questions means you're reading it wrong.
Stay with it. Read it again. Ask the uncomfortable questions. Pray the questions. Talk about it with someone you trust. Let Scripture challenge what you think you know about God, and let what you know of God challenge the way you read Scripture.
You don't have to settle every question today. Just keep wrestling with it.
Stay blessed...john
Comments