It's been a couple of months since we moved. And, if you haven't moved in a while, let me tell you that you can live in a house and still not know where all the light switches are.
I know I've moved. I see the proof all around me. Still, every once in a while, I pull up to H-E-B and am surprised it doesn't look like my old store. I've woken up a couple of times and needed a second to remember where I was.
Moving is more than a new address. Moving also means learning a new rhythm.
I wonder if that’s part of what Jesus means when he says, “Come to me,” and then, “Learn from me.”
When we talk about Jesus offering us rest, we think that means a chance to stop for a while. To be sure, that's exactly what we need sometimes. But Jesus is offering more than a break before we return to the same exhausting pace. The Lord invites us to learn another way to live.
And that takes practice.
Jesus says his yoke is easy and his burden is light. His invitation gives us a chance to actually notice what we’ve been carrying, accepting it means we’re ready to learn his way of carrying life. We come to him with all that we carry in our hearts, and we learn from someone loving enough to receive us, though tossed about as we are.
So today, pay attention to what you do that's so familiar you don't even realize it. Some of us have never imagined a day without worry or stress. When those feelings come, tell the Lord what is troubling you. Take a breath. Then take the next step.
This new Jesus rhythm doesn't seem to happen all at once. At first, you might still reach for the old light switch. But just know that you can learn where the light is.
Stay blessed...john
Comments