There are several things I’ve noticed about young people today. One that still surprises me is how early we train them to think about the future. High school students once chose educational tracks to prepare for careers. Then middle schoolers began making similar decisions. Recently, I heard of an elementary student confidently announce his intention to attend MIT.
When I was his age, I wanted to be a bartender or a professional wrestler.
I love encouraging young people to dream. There is wisdom in setting goals and planning ahead. But I wonder whether we have also taught them, and ourselves, that there is one perfect path through life.
You know the path: school, career, marriage, children, home, retirement. Now, there is nothing wrong with that route. But I didn’t follow it exactly, and neither have many others. And when life takes an unexpected turn away from this route, people often feel like they have failed. They question themselves. They wonder why they can’t get life “right.”
But I’m not sure there is only one right route.
In Exodus 13, God does not lead the Israelites along the shortest road. The fastest way would have been the Via Mares, the way of the sea. But it also would have taken them directly toward conflict they weren’t ready for. The shorter way would not have been the safer way.
The text also says that God leads them with a pillar of cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night. That fire gave them light to travel after dark. Who travels through the wilderness at night?
Sometimes, people following God (See Numbers 9:21).
Sometimes, God leads us by the long way. If you've had to detour, that doesn't mean you've failed. It could just be God knowing what's on the road ahead and what still needs to grow within you.
Stay blessed...john
Comments