I can't count the times someone has said to me, “Please keep me in your prayers.”
Early on, I had to learn to focus myself so I would mean it when I said, "I will." Of course, I was going to pray for them. But then we finished talking. My phone rang. I remembered something else I needed to do. By evening, I couldn't quite remember what I promised to pray about.
I thought about this while looking at a church prayer list. We're pretty good at lists, for sure. We collect names, print them, email them, and add new names on Sunday morning. That can be a beautiful way to remember people. But a prayer list can also just be a list.
James tells the church to “Pray for one another.” He expects us to bring our lives before God together.
As much as we might want to do that, I wonder if sometimes we hesitate because we think prayer needs to sound a certain way. We have to learn the right words, have the right time and space. So much so that when we promise to pray later, later gets crowded with other things.
I learned to start where I am.
When someone asks if you'll pray for them, try this. Ask, “Could I pray with you right now?” It might take you ten seconds in a parking lot. But it'll be a prayer you've offered, and something you'll remember more later.
If praying out loud feels awkward, pray silently before you walk away. Put a reminder on your phone. Ask tomorrow how they’re doing.
By all means, keep the list. But when you see a name on it today, stop long enough to speak to God about the person behind the name.
That’s when a prayer list becomes prayer.
Stay blessed...john
Comments