I took a head start on my new church.
They didn’t know it, but before I ever unpacked a box or preached a sermon, I was already praying for them. I’ve made it a personal commitment that no one prays more for my church than I do. Now, I don’t say that to brag about my prayer life. I say it because I want prayer to be underneath everything we do. If something beautiful grows here, I want us to remember where it came from.
The apostle Paul seems to understand this.
Before he ever arrives in Rome, he tells the church, “I remember you always in my prayers.” Recognize that he hasn’t shared a meal with them. He hasn’t sat in their homes or learned all their names. But he has already carried them to God in prayer.
Soon, I’m going to invite my church to join me. I always welcome the prayer competition. Try to out-pray me. I mean, what’s the worst that could happen? We become a church full of people trying to pray more for one another?
Prayer needs to be both the foundation beneath our life together and the scaffolding around whatever God is building among us. Otherwise, we may begin admiring what we’re building and forget the Builder.
Of course, we do have a part to play. God has given us wisdom and skill, energy and compassion, gifts and ideas. Paul intended to bring his gifts to Rome. But he also expects to receive something from them, too. He calls it “mutual encouragement.”
That’s the beauty of a praying church. We stop seeing ministry as something we accomplish for God and begin recognizing it as something God is growing among us.
So, yes, I’m praying for my church. And I hope they catch up.
Stay blessed...john
Comments