Personally, I've got the wonder and joy of children on my mind. That could be why I've noticed the little ones that walk by my office window each day. Our church has a day school, and each class takes a trip to the playground. Thankfully, my office is along their way.
It's early in the school year, but they already seem to know to walk safely in line, one behind the other. One day last week, I noticed something I'm sure I'd seen before.
Maybe my new grandparent eyes were kicking in.
As each class followed the leader, no one only looked straight ahead. Each child of God seemed to carry a sense of curiosity and astonishment about their surroundings. Their heads turned and swiveled in all directions. Each little step brought them closer to something new or made them tune in even more to something they were getting further from.
I wonder if the psalmist looked around before writing Psalm 8. It seems like he looked at the moon and stars and wondered, "What are human beings that you are mindful of them?"
Somewhere in life, we tend to lose that wonder if we're not careful. It gets easier to just walk through life staring straight ahead. We've got somewhere to be. Something to finish. A problem to solve. And we stop swiveling our heads.
But the world hasn't stopped being wonderful just because we've stopped wondering.
Children are discovering things we've walked past a thousand times. And among all those wondrous things, somehow, God notices us.
Maturing in faith includes learning about God. But it's also recovering our sense of astonishment. Truly being amazed by God, who God is, and what God has done.
Today, learn to swivel your head a little. There's still plenty to wonder about.
Stay blessed...john
Comments