another john dot com

There are 5,446,646 people named John in the U.S. I'm just Another John.

Foot IN mouth disease

 

Psalm 39

A few weeks ago I preached a sermon based on Mark 9. Jesus said if your hand, foot or eye causes you to sin, cut it off. I told the congregation to consider what body parts they'd be left with if they had to cut off what made them sin. After worship, someone jokingly confessed they'd never speak again. They would have had to cut off their tongue.

I imagine that's true for a lot of us.

What is it about putting our foot in our mouth that is so common? We all say things we don't really mean. Words pour out that we didn't even know we were thinking. The maturing among us learn to acknowledge when that happens. We own up to what we've said and how it came across. Some stick to blaming others for taking things the wrong way.

We aren't given a specific circumstance behind the words of Psalm 39. The psalm's title says it's merely a psalm of David. Some have suggested the psalm relates to his experience with Bathsheba. Others suggest David is an older man reflecting on past experiences. We don't know what experience he had, but we know we can relate.

Listen to his opening words: I will guard my ways that I may not sin with my tongue; I will keep a muzzle on my mouth (Psalm 39:1).










A muzzle might come in handy sometimes, wouldn't you say?

Of course, there is no restraining device we can rely on. Instead, we have to look to God for that help. We ask the Lord for the strength to "not sin with my tongue." And this is where we're praying for the fruit of the Spirit to take root in our hearts. Love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control all have a way to prevent us from having to cut out our tongues.

Stay blessed...john

No comments: