1.30.2013

See you tomorrow....Dad

Tomorrow I am doing something I never thought I would do. In fact, I often said I would never do it! Our family is celebrating the life of my step-father, Darrell. He passed away this past weekend, even though he was one of those people I thought would be around forever. Darrell and I butted heads quite a bit as I grew up. Oh, I was the know-it-all and he was the tough guy. That's a perfect mix for a lot of things.

Still, I loved him and I know he loved me. He had been around all my life. So, what am I doing tomorrow? I'm leading the funeral service for my dad. I never called him by that name, but that is what he will always be to me.

Many of you are praying people. If you're praying with our family, please include an extra or two prayers of strength for me. It isn't uncommon for God to ask us to do what we thought we would never do. God is funny that way. Praise the Lord, though, because in our weakness, we are made strong. Amen.


Darrell Lance Lane, 58, of Galveston, TX died January 26, 2013, at his home surrounded by his family.
He was born November 27, 1954 in Texas City, TX, the son of Bernice Cecilia Ricketts. He was the youngest of three siblings. After the loss of his mother at age 14, Darrell was then cared for by his loving aunt, Gloria Whelton, who has been there for him throughout his entire life. He is survived by his lovely wife of 25 years, Deborah Sue Lane.

Darrell lived and worked most of his life in and around Galveston. He loved spending time with his family and dogs, had a passion for barbecuing and bowling, and was always willing to help a friend.

Darrell’s family will receive visitors beginning at 5:00 pm, Thursday, January 31st, at Malloy & Son Funeral Home. A funeral service will begin at 7:00 pm at the funeral home.

Mr.Lane was preceded in death by his parents; brother, Dennis Lane; uncle, Olen James McCutchen (Mack); aunt, Audrey Ricketts; and cousin, Diane McCutchen.

He is survived by his mother-in-law, Bobbie Sue Faggard, of High Island, Texas; daughter, Margaret, of Mississippi; son and daughter-in-law, John and Gloria Fletcher of Shiner, Texas; daughter and son-in-law, Misty Sue Ambrosio and Jose Perez of Tomball, Texas; daughter, Diana; boyfriend, William; and dear friend, Alfio; daughter and son-in-law, Briana and Jesus Soto; son, Grady and his girlfriend Michaela Graves, of Galveston, Texas; grandchildren: Brandon, Brittani, Ashlei, Ange-le, Nathan, and Angelina; great grandchild, Harmony; sister and brother-in-law, Barbara and Bill Hedgingson, of Arizona; aunts, Gloria Whelton and Lilla McCutchen; numerous cousins, nephews, and nieces; and a host of friends and co-workers.

0 Responses :