7.12.2010

Music Monday; White Man Edition

Oh, this is a great song with some strong lyrics.  Have you heard of The Michael Gungor Band?  I'll confess I only have one album from them, the latest one.  It is called Ancient Skies

One of the songs from the album is entitled White Man.  Watch the video below (or by clicking here).  The lyrics are printed below the video.  Read them.  What do you think?  I would love to hear your ideas!




God is not a man
God is not a white man
God is not a man sitting on a cloud

God cannot be bought
God will not be boxed in
God will not be owned by religion

But God is love, God is love, and He loves everyone
God is love, God is love, and He loves everyone

God is not a man
God is not an old man
God does not belong to Republicans
God is not a flag
Not even American
And God does not depend on a government

But God is good, God is good, and He loves everyone
God is good, God is good, and He loves everyone

Atheists and Charlatans and Communists and Lesbians
And even old Pat Robertson, oh God He loves us all
Catholic or Protestant, Terrorist or President
Everybody, everybody, love, love, love, love, love

Oh, la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la
Yeah, I say God is love, God is love, and He loves everyone
La la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la
Stop the hating, please just stop the hating now cause God is love
Oh, whoa, la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la la

Anybody else see a possible contradiction?  What do you think? Stay blessed...john

1 Responses :

Anonymous said...

Possible Contradiction?

In the song? Yes, I see a possible contradiction. I don't know if it is the same one you might have reference to or not. Here goes: In thinking of the Trinity, God, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Jesus was Man. Ergo, God is Man!

However, about the song. Nice group and I would like to hear more songs. I like the video better than the lyrics because the video takes liberties with the lyrics and expands them. I do not like several lines in the song.
1. God is not a white man... but the video expands than where the song sounds racist the video does not.
2. Same for God is not an old man...
3. Last verse before all the "la la's" where it mentions that God loves us all, I believe that God loves us all but the song makes it sound as if he loves the sin rather than the sinner (in my humble opinion.)
4. Lastly, it would be a good song for kids, but for the fact that it mentions Lesbians, and I am not comfortable at all with that.

Okay, now you can feel free to shoot me down!

Jacqualea