8.03.2007

Too Much Fun to be Ministry

So, if a group of people help distribute over 29,000 pounds of food and no one brings a camera to capture all the work, did it really happen? Of course it did. Wow! Yesterday we partnered with the San Antonio Food Bank and passed out boxes of food to families. The food bank had called us to help since Helping Hand was in the middle of constructing their new medical building.

It kind of just came together and happened. One of our members graciously agreed to help lead this project (boy, was she in her element!); I wasn't supposed to be around all day--class is everyday for me right now. We weren't quite sure what to expect. Needless to say, when an 18-wheeler pulled up and started unloading (20) pallets of food we were amazed.

The funny thing is most of the people (volunteers) there were kind of concerned we weren't going to be able to get rid of all the food. We turned in (2) boxes of tomatoes! There was a line of cars around the block. So much for some people's theory of "We don't need to do that; other places already take care of them." Don't worry, I'm going to leave that one alone right now.

I wouldn't be truthful if I didn't tell you I was a bit disappointed. Of course, I know people work, I know this was put together pretty quickly, I know there's a bunch of other stuff going on that I don't know about. However, I think I expected a few more people from our church there to help. Don't get me wrong; those of us there worked hard, laughed and I think got the point of what we were doing. If I have to do it again with just that group there then praise God for those people!

Anyways, one of my sisters is in town visiting for a couple of days. We're going to enjoy her here and have a great weekend. I hope you do the same. Stay blessed...john

0 Responses :